Mersin is one of the important urban centers of the Chukurova Region and the country. The linear macroform of the city has led to the formation of bottlenecks in transportation due to urban development. The Mersin Transportation Master Plan (MUAP), which was first prepared by us in 2010, was revised in accordance with the principles of sustainable urban transportation planning by us with the expansion of the metropolitan municipality borders in 2015.
In the MUAP Modeling Study, the 4-stage transportation demand forecasting model method was used and the current transportation characteristics of Mersin were determined. Projections of variables such as population, employment, number of automobiles, average household income for the 2030 target year have been made and the expected problems and bottlenecks in transportation in the future have been revealed.
In order to meet the expected transportation demands in the target year, alternative solutions have been developed within the framework of the public transportation-oriented planning approach. The alternatives produced were evaluated with the participation of the administration and relevant stakeholders, and the transportation master plan was finalized by choosing the most optimum solution in line with the transportation vision and policies of the target year.
With the holistic planning approach, short, medium and long-term investment decisions regarding all transportation systems in the city were made.
- Province MERSİN
- Country Türkiye
Mersin Metropolitan Municipality
Department of Transportation
- Work Schedule 2015-2016
Scope of the Work
- Collection of Available Information
- Collection of New Information
- Preparation of Model Inputs and Creation of the Transportation Model
- Model Calibration and Validation Tests
- Target Year Projections
- Identifying Current and Future Problems Inadequacy Analysis
- Generating Alternatives and Testing in the Model
- Selection of Appropriate Public Transport Road Network-Type Plan Alternatives
- Creating a Transportation Master Plan
- Suggestions for Urban Transportation
- Highway, Traffic and Parking Lot Arrangements, Proposal Junction and Signaling Projects
- Preliminary Projects of Proposal Alternatives
- Additional Alternative (Monorail) Project and Feasibility Studies